The Spemann Graduate School of Biology and Medicine (SGBM) is the only International Graduate School funded by the German Excellence Initiative of the DFG at the University of Freiburg. It relies on the expertise provided by the Excellence Cluster BIOSS (Center for Biological Signalling Studies), several outstanding collaborative research centers as well as the Max Planck Institute of Immunobiology and Epigenetics and the Bernstein Center Freiburg. This innovative research and training program includes an MD/PhD program. The school recruits doctoral students in the following seven research disciplines:
Protein Structure and Function, Synthetic Biology and Signalling, Neurosciences, Immunology/Virology, Molecular Medicine, Developmental Biology and Molecular Plant Sciences
Presently the school counts ca. 70 PhD students at different stages of their doctoral work.
The entire program is run in English. Knowledge of German is not necessary.
- an excellent recent university degree: M.Sc. or German diploma (candidates about to obtain such a degree are welcome to apply).
- motivation & interest to join one of the interdisciplinary research areas of the Graduate School
- communication skills in English
- interest and creativity to shape your own thesis project and select your thesis committee
- a doctoral fellowship
- a high-profile research environment
- an exchange program with universities and industry around the world
- an efficient supervision and mentoring program
- courses in novel technologies and soft skills
- an interdisciplinary teaching program
- a campus in the center of the city with lecture rooms, social & guest rooms
If you are interested, go to our homepage: www.sgbm.uni-freiburg.de . Deadline for registration: March 29, 2013. Deadline for submission of applications: April 05, 2013. Decisions will be communicated to applicants in mid July 2013 and selected applicants will be able to start in October 2013.
Spemann Graduate School of Biology and Medicine (SGBM)